Monday, April 4, 2011

SuperNanny

After sleeping most of the day Thursday (Gary picked up Mackenzie from school!), I was feeling like such a bum and just wanted to be “better” and get out of the house. Since Thursday is my prenatal yoga class, I was thinking “no big deal, I’ll just go to class and it’ll probably even make me feel better.”

As I was leaving, Mack and Gary were getting back from preschool. When he walked in, Mack told me our house smelt funny. Hey soup! I had turned my soup from Wednesday night back on in the crock pot and it had been simmering all day long. Apparently an entire head of cauliflower and two heads of broccoli makes a bad smell. Ha!

Once I drove down to the class and parked my car, I realized just how much my body did NOT want to be there. I also realized that exposing a room full of pregnant women to whatever unknown illness I had was probably not the most thoughtful choice I could make. Back to the house I went.

When I got home, Mack was super tired/lethargic. His show was just finishing up and I held him while we danced the “hot dog dance.” I could tell he just wasn’t up for much and I asked if he wanted to go to bed. When a three year old tells you yes, he does want to go to bed and it’s only 6:30 - something is up. I took his temperature - 102 degrees! And mine - 94.7 degrees! We both got our fair dosage of Tylenol and it was off to bed for the both of us.

Poor guy was up several times during the night, not really awake but sort of crying/upset in his sleep. Between him waking up and myself waking up with night sweats and the whole blow your nose, try to breath routine, I got very little sleep.

By the time the alarm rang Friday morning, I just dismissed it - sent an email to my boss (thank god for smart phones and not having to so much as get out of bed to send an email!) and wrote off the rest of the day. Luckily, little kids are pretty resilient. Mack woke up feeling chipper and back to his usual self.

He is so sweet. Crawled into bed with me and we watched a couple cartoons - once again, he brought me cereal in bed - and we hung out together until he was pretty much over the whole idea. I eventually called Gary and asked him to come get Mack so that A) Mack wasn’t bored out of his mind / being babysat by the TV and B) I could go back to sleep. I did manage to take a shower but that’s the most energy I could muster up.

Back to bed and I watched a marathon of SuperNanny episodes. Boy, am I thankful for Nick and for our support web of family! Some of the husbands on that show are just plain useless when it comes to being dads. And, there was a grandma that didn’t like her grandkids coming over because “they got their sticky hands on everything and were always going through her things” - um, she had NO toys for the kids at her house, so I wonder why they’d go through all of her things.

Just goes to show, I’ve got lots to be thankful for. Each and every one of Mack’s grandparents and great-grandparents has been nothing but supportive, loving and embracing of Mackenzie - even when he’s broken things and been less than cute (which never happens ;) ) Beyond that, have you seen how great of a dad Nick is?! Kids at the park flock to that man, everywhere we go he’s making new little kid friends - I’m positive that all those boys wish that Nick was their dad. Speaking of Nick: he gets in late, late tonight and I’m hoping to feel well enough to not bore him to death this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment