Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let's Go Fly a Kite

Sunday was a lazy bum kind of day and it felt like FOREVER. Not in the same sense that a workday can feel like FOREVER, but this Sunday seemed to have a particular lingering quality that was absolutely welcomed. For starters, we slept in (Saturday we were up and at it by 6:30). We spent the better part of the morning cleaning the house. I’m loving that Mackenzie is at an age where household chores are a joyous occasion. When I got out the vacuum, he was ecstatic and wanted to vacuum everything himself. Have at it my friend! While I did a fairly good job of keeping the house clutter-free while Nick was gone, I do always LOVE when the floor is swept and the carpets are vacuumed - something about that just puts my soul at a whole other level of calm. I think that is the OCD part of me that is buried by the full-time working mother of a toddler that overpowers any OCD that may be lurking deep down. Once the kitchen was all the way clean it was time to….. mess it up! Easter Eggs! Mack is at the perfect age for things like this - there’s this sense of wonder, shock, amazement that surrounds putting a tablet (or, as Mack called it, a vitamin) into water and having it turn into a color - then putting a white egg into that color and having the egg become yellow! Or green! Or pink! The world is so much more exciting if you stop for a second and just notice it. (Side note: I’ve decided that this is what is meant in the Biblical parables when we are told to be childlike - just think how much better life would be if we all actually took the time to let the little details bring excitement still) Anyway, back to egg decorating! Mack ended up eating two hard boiled eggs after this. Hint: protein for kids = colored eggs! Who knew! After nap time, Mack ran out into the yard and made me this: Then we went up to the beach house for a little kite flying action.

My mom bought Mackenzie a great little kite while she was in California last week.

And in case you were wondering, MegaMind was fabulous! So fabulous, that we actually brought the movie with us and watched it again with Nick’s parents who also loved it. I laughed the entire time.

I also made a second Ukranian egg while we were there. My mom eventually stopped by and she got to try her hand at making the eggs too. We have all decided that the quiet concentration necessary to do this little project is very therapeutic. I’ll be sure to post pics when I get my completed eggs back (they still need to be blown out, polished and then varnished.

And just like that, the weekend comes to a close. Nick and I are going to watch a couple episodes of our show while he unpacks/packs for the next trip.

Ci vediamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment