Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Market Woes

Nick’s home! While my greeting of Nick was less than stellar (he arrived home after midnight and I was coughing up my lungs and in complete night sweat mode = sexy!), by the time morning arrived the world was looking a little brighter. Mackenzie came running into our room bright and early. As soon as he saw daddy he went running for the other side of the bed. Even if it’s way earlier than Nick may have wanted, it has to be nice to know he was so greatly missed. After lounging around in bed, having waffles (of course!) and taking our time to get ready for the day, we decided to head out to Pike Place Market. Nick and I both figured that it would be fun since Mack had such a great time last weekend and because my mom was at our house and we’d all get to go and have a good time. Mack was super excited about going to the market until we actually got there. As we parked the truck Mack told me he didn’t want to see the robot man from when we were down at the market with my dad. I had to guarantee him that the robot man was off duty today. Then, he was a grump about every little detail. If I said something smelled good, he’d let me know otherwise. If I said I was hungry, he’d tell me he wasn’t. If he wanted something and I went to buy it, he then didn’t want it. Tough to put up with that. I thought perhaps changing things up a bit might get him out of his funk. We headed down the steep steps to the waterfront in hopes of riding the carousel.

The robot man is a lamp! Seriously, the guy we saw dressed as a robot looked exactly like this. In all my times being at the market, I've never seen that robot guy, nor have I noticed that there are several lamps with his likeness holding up light bulbs.


The carousel managed to get a few smiles out of him. But even that was short lived. We did sneak in a quick trip to Egypt though! Ha! In spite of Mackenzie, us grown ups did enjoy our time - Nick got his favorite sandwich (Sierra Chicken) from Michou and I got a gyro from Sabra’s. I also managed to grab some gorgeous tulips before Mack had a complete breakdown and it was time to head home.


Back at home, the little guy got some much needed rest while mom and dad did a little lounging around ourselves. When Mack woke up he was back to his fun self and we headed off to Lowe’s for some gardening supplies and QFC for some Easter egg supplies. We also nabbed MegaMind from the RedBox. In our seed starter, we planted Heirloom Tomatoes, Grape Tomatoes, Assorted Bell Peppers, Autumn Sunflowers, Parsley and [something I’m forgetting - oops!]. This is the third year now that Mack has grown tomatoes. The first year, he did it was Grandma Criss and we had tomatoes galore. Last year, Mack and I did it together and being the green thumb that I am, we ended up with maybe 8 tomatoes about five months later. I’m hoping that we have a better turn out this year! I’ve been reading up on how to grow them and I think the biggest problem last year was the lack of bees. I actually ended up going around rubbing pollen on my fingers and spreading it from plant to plant, then we got a few blooms which became tomatoes. The good news is that we’re not farmers and our planting project is merely a source of fun rather than a necessary food source.


Movie time!

No comments:

Post a Comment