Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yes, We Are Still Alive! Just MIA

Wow, I skipped over the entire month of February. While February was hardly a stellar month for eating right, I am happy to report that it wasn’t a complete “fall of the wagon.” If you remember, our new year’s resolutions were to eat healthy and to live a healthy lifestyle, including getting up early enough to have a healthy breakfast. Well, I have definitely been eating healthy and substantial foods as well as getting up early and enjoying a nice breakfast. The real dilemma here is that we haven’t been making dinner at home nearly as much as we could/should be. The problem is just how busy we’ve been each and every night of the week. Without making dinner, I don’t have leftovers, and then - I buy lunch - which is a total waste of money. I have managed to eat some very healthy lunches, including my new love for Hungarian style cooking via Crusty Tasty Bakery which just opened on Colby. I was fairly good about going to the gym during February (I’ll get to the exception) and also I was very good about taking time to sit down in the mornings with Mackenzie to have a smoothie, breakfast and watch his show with him before heading off to preschool.
So here is the real killer: I got sick. Then, everything fell to pieces. Cooking a couple times a week, turned to not cooking ever - eating frosted shredded wheat for all meals of the day accompanied by lots and lots of tea. Nothing to blog about with that. I’ll spare you all photos of my numerous bowls of cereal :) Being sick, I also slacked off on my workout routine. To be fair, I was also screwed over last week because the gym and also water aerobics were closed for President’s Day - then Wednesday the pool was closed because of the snow. I realize how much I need those two stand-by workouts. My lunch break gym sessions are pretty hit or miss based on how busy the office is, how caught up on my homework I am etc. but those two water aerobic sessions are always there for me - or so I thought.
Last week, I started feeling better and was determined to get back to the healthy eating I was so desperately missing. And, I also wanted to get back to the gym. You can see my workouts on my new page - “Exercise Log” - I’ve also included my points (via the President’s Challenge which Nick and I are now doing with his dad’s Parkinson’s Awareness Group) and also the calories burned for each (via CardioTrainer on my phone).
I’ll catch you up on the highlights of February (ie: V-day and this past weekend) in separate blogs.
As for getting back to basics. Here’s the menu for the current week:

Monday: Piccolini with stewed tomatoes and roasted carrots. I added some cumin, cilantro and lime juice to make it more exciting - I highly doubt this would taste good if I wasn’t pregnant but it hit the spot.
Tuesday: Nick’s Pineapple Fried Rice
Wednesday: Margherita Pizza and Virgin Margaritas
Thursday: Coconut Seafood Stew - found a recipe I can’t wait to try!
Friday: Chicken with Ziti and Marinara
Saturday: Crock Pot Chili
Sunday: leftovers if we have them, or we can make something on the fly

Hold us accountable!

And really quick, I want to share my new favorite breakfast. I’ve been trying to eat more eggs (protein!) but there are only so many hard boiled eggs you can eat and not hate life. I switch things up with a fried egg sandwich a couple times a week. If you want to tell me that this has way more cholesterol, I don’t want to hear it! The baby wants this!

Here’s my recipe - if you can even call something this simple a recipe:

Thomas’ Everything Bagel Thin
One Egg, fried sunny side up, yolk is runny
Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese

Takes me about five min start to finish and leave me full for hours :)

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment