Thursday, March 17, 2011

Alarm Bells Ringing

With my Italian final over and behind me, as well as this stupid kidney infection being nearly through, I was excited to have a nice night at home with the boys - no studying to worry about, no pain in my side - just some quiet time with the fam. Because a little birdie had sent me a link to a fabulous alfredo recipe here. I was craving some alfredo for dinner last night. I decided to whip up some garlic chicken with roasted bell peppers and thin spaghetti (side bar: what is the difference between thin spaghetti and angel hair? - is that some American thing we just made up?). I already had a jar of Bertolli’s Alfredo Sauce so I didn’t try out the recipe - but I will definitely be holding on to that for future reference.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts - sliced to thin strips
Orange and Yellow Bell Peppers - chopped
Garlic
Thin Spaghetti or Angel Hair Pasta
Alfredo Sauce


How to:
On medium to high heat, heat some olive oil in a skillet. Add chopped garlic - the more the better! Sauté for a few moments before adding in sliced chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill until chicken is nearly cooked through. Add in the bell peppers.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta to a nice al dente.
When bell peppers are cooked down a little, add the alfredo sauce and stir to really incorporate the juices from the chicken and peppers.
Top noodles with a spoonful of your chicken/alfredo mixture and enjoy!


So what’s the deal with the alarm?
Well, I packed myself a lovely lunch for today - cantaloupe, leftovers from last night, boiled red potatoes, and some granola bars for snackin. As I got to work this morning, I unlocked the door and the alarm started going off. No big deal, I have a key fob - EXCEPT, I couldn’t find it. It had somehow come off the key chain and I didn’t realize until the alarm was already ticking off the “grace period” - then the alarm really started going off. As I rushed to get the rest of the office opened up so I could get into my desk where I have a spare fob, tragedy struck. I dropped my lunch. This is the ONLY bad thing about my favorite tupperware - it’s glass. So, it shattered when I dropped it, meaning I now have shards of glass in my leftovers from dinner. The saving grace is that it was still in the plastic bag I had brought my lunch in, so I could easily just throw it in the trash without having to pick up any shards or worry I had missed some. The phone started ringing and it was the security company calling to see why the alarm was going off and why they heard a crash and breaking glass! Ha! It’s just me, not some rise and shine burglar. Whoops!

Interesting start to the morning. One of the lovely ladies from upstairs came in the office shortly after all this drama and brought me a decaf Irish Cream Latte in celebration of St. Pat’s - that definitely turned around the mood of the morning.

Check out the new page “Fit Mamma” which has my workout log. I’m realizing how important it is to share my workouts - they hold me accountable and push me to do more. Being a part of the President’s Challenge has also been a real motivator. I get to the end of the week and want to be lazy and then I realize “if I don’t work out today, I miss my pres challenge for the week!” It definitely keeps my booty off the couch, I’d hate for my efforts during the week to go to waste at the last minute just because I can’t put in thirty minutes; it’s really not THAT MUCH that I should EVER miss my weekly goal.

I’m off to get some work done! Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment