Monday, March 28, 2011

Rebecca Black has Ruined Fridays

It’s Friday, Friday - gotta get down on Friday! Ha, literally had that stuck in my head all day - from the moment I told Mack “It’s Friday!” See why annoying, simple lyrics are so catching? Today was a busy day of work. I was helping a lady at a school district (not Everett) who stepped into a job that wasn’t being done very well prior to her working there, and now she was trying to clean up a mess caused by the previous employee. Why does this sound familiar? At any rate, I was glad to be able to help her and get her the info she needed right away, even if that meant that my own projects are moving along at a snail’s pace. It was also a busy day of cakes being dropped off here at my office and then me delivering them over to Comcast Arena for the auction tonight. I love seeing all the creative things people can do with CAKE. I wish I was that talented. I’m not a very good baker. I think I’m a pretty decent cook but when it comes to baking, I always mess things up. In another lifetime, I’d love to go to classes and the whole gambit. It was such a sunny day that I was thinking it’d be nice to go for a walk by the river after work. I was also thinking it’d be fun to cook up the tempeh I had bought at the co-op on Thursday during my lunch break. Nick however, had VERY different plans in mind. When I mentioned going for a walk he actually laughed at me and said “you can only see out of your building in one direction, wait til you get outside.” Outside, I looked to the East and there were black storm clouds rolling in over Everett. I much preferred my “view to the West” which was nothing but blue skies and sunshine. Ignorance really is bliss. I had no idea that storm had been brewing. Here I was with the door open, enjoying the fresh air and the birds chirping. As rain was falling just a few blocks away. Nick also had plans for dinner which were just about as opposite to tempeh as you can get. He wanted steak. Luckily, once steak is mentioned, I’m on board - no need to convince me! We hopped on over to QFC and picked up three big steaks in a family pack - which was buy one get one free! Yay six steaks! While Nick was picking out the steaks I happened to notice there was a big seafood sale. I decided to splurge on some Dungeness crab! Then while I was waiting in line for my crab, Nick noticed there was a wine tasting going on. We ended spending about 40 min at QFC. I picked up a bottle of Fre, which is a non-alcoholic Cabernet Sauvignon. We’ve bought a bottle of this once before and I knew I liked it. I don’t think it’s something I should be having on a regular basis, but steak and crab without red wine is just wrong. Gary had picked up Mack from school early (after helping me deliver cakes to the arena - thanks Gary!) and they were already at the house busy playing. When Nick and I arrived home, we all got busy in the kitchen. Mack helped me make Brussels sprouts with butter and garlic, Nick used his awesome indoor grill (Christmas present!) and I started some water to boil for the crab. Nothing was done at the same time. We had a meal in courses, steak first, then Brussels sprouts, and then crab - wine throughout. Carrot cake for dessert. My mom had made a carrot cake for the dessert dash and had made a tiny, loaf sized cake just for me. She knows it’s my favorite. I was nice enough to share my dessert with everyone. What a great meal! Because we had spent about two hours eating, it was Mack’s bedtime before we could even believe it. Movie time for mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment