Friday, March 25, 2011

Popsicles to the Rescue

Wednesday night!

Even though I got into work late today, I couldn’t help but get an itch to get out of the office given how sunny and springy it was outside. For some strange reason, entering 6 months worth of data (that I’ve already entered into one system) into a new system is not the most exciting thing to dedicate my days to. I am however, making good progress. Once I was able to break free from the office, I threw on my sunglasses and headed out to pick up Nick from work. Then the two of us picked up Mack from preschool.
Nothing is a worse start to the evening than picking up your kid bloody and crying from preschool. It was just a fat lip - he was pushed on the playground and probably bit his lip as he fell down, but the TEARS would suggest to you that his injuries were fatal.
Luckily, firework popsicles came to the rescue!
Talk about a perfect distraction and an make shift ice pack. Two birds, one stone, ahem - popsicle. Mack loved the idea of having a “treat” before dinner and as soon as he had that bad boy, life had returned to happiness and we were ready for some kite flying adventures.
This morning on the way to preschool Mack told me that because the sun was up, it was a good day to fly his kite. He has literally been begging to take his kite out for weeks: when it’s pouring down rain or pitch black outside. Every single time he’s asked, we’ve told him that when it was sunny, we’d take his kite out. So, as soon as he saw the sun over the Puget Sound (we have an AMAZING view from his preschool) he was all over that promise we’d made.
Kite + Popsicle = Mackenzie in Heaven

Then This
Luckily, it was pretty cold out and Mack was over it before the kite got stuck in the tree. Dinner time!

I really love crock pot meals. When I can come home to an amazing, already cooked meal, I feel like I’ve cheated the world. Here, I have extra time on my hands and I get to eat something delicious.
For tonight’s meal, I did a little throw back to 8th grade when we had a family reunion in Cannon Beach. We had most of the hotel along with a beach cabin that we’d have dinners at each night. One night my uncle made a boys scout recipe from when he was a troup leader (is that what they are called, troups?). Anyway, every now and then I get a strong desire to have this meal again - but I’ve never made it. I decided to give it a go - with only the memory of asking him how he had made it when we were eating it (that’s what, more than ten years ago…).

I put three frozen chicken breasts, two cans of petite diced tomatoes, about ¼ cup of brown sugar and a little salt and pepper in the crock pot - on “low” for about 6 hours. When I got home, I asked Nick to make rice because clearly I can’t do it right.
This meal was fantastic! So incredibly easy to make, and so, so good.
On the side, we had some sweet corn.
Please note Nick's fancy plating for this photo. As opposed to my "give me the food!" photo below.


Today was the last day of my President’s Challenge, so I needed to get in at least 30 min of workout. I decided to try out one of my prenatal DVDs from the library.

This workout is ridiculous! Besides the 80’s throwback attire - full body leotards with leggings and high tops - the music is phenomenol. I was cracking up the entire time I was doing this aerobics routine. At one point Mack and Nick came upstairs and they both just started laughing hysterically. Mack joined me for one set of the aerobics.

I’ve included the links to the highlights of this video for you here and here. ENJOY! Seriously, worth your time - the laughter alone is a great workout :)

To be fair, the workout was great - got my heart rate up, I had a blast and I felt like I really worked out. A “real” workout is very hard to come by in the prenatal sections, so I will definitely be doing this again - and soon!

A presto!

1 comment: