Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ayurveda

Kennis and I have started an Ayurvedic program. You can read more about Ayerveda here. Basically, it is all about eating the right foods, for the right body type, and working to keep yourself in balance. Balance is different for different people, and changes through the seasons.

Kennis shared this blog post with me, and I thought it sounded really interesting and wanted to know more.

Since then, I have stocked up on everything ginger (ginger tea, ginger root, ginger chews….), which is good for my personal type of balance -- I have also cut out coffee (only after ordering a triple tall caramel macchiato as a farewell drink) and have started eating the ginger mixture described in the blog before every meal. I’m replacing coffee with ginger tea and I’m drinking more water than I ever have -- every glass with a squeeze of lemon. I also ordered an Ayurvedic cookbook which has not yet arrived, but promises to point the way to cooking right for my specific dosha. What is a dosha you are wondering? Well, that is your body/mind type. You can take this little quiz to find out your own dosha. We both took the quiz and found it to be shockingly, if not creepily, right on target -- on more things than just what size/body type I am, but how I view tasks, health problems I have had, etc.

I figured I better start explaining some of this since Kennis and I have decided to do the six-week course found on the same site as the quiz. Today will serve as day one, which is meant to be “learning about your dosha.” Since I have already done a little bit of this, I am going to research a bit further into the Vata dosha, which is what I am.

While today is day one, of the course, it is day TWO of not drinking coffee. Of course the day I decided to give up coffee ended up being one of the most ridiculous days of my life (rough night of sleep, waking up at 4am, making an emergency visit to the dentist, having the basement flood with sewage, just a few of the details that was yesterday..). I find myself thinking, I don’t need the coffee, I just really want the coffee….that I miss holding it in my hand. I have a feeling this is what smokers tell themselves when they are trying to quit smoking. Furthermore I find myself thinking, I could just have coffee. It’s not so bad for me, and it’s something I truly enjoy, an important part of my day and life. I have a feeling this is what overweight people tell themselves when they want a donut. So, I need to stick to the plan, and cut out coffee. I should be very upfront and say that I have absolutely no intention of never drinking coffee again. Rather, I intend to make it through the program, see how I feel and go from there. I could definitely stand to cut back on the coffee, but robbing myself of the morning coziness a cup of black coffee brings me, is something I can’t bear the thought of. Yes, I am being serious. I also find that throughout my day I go to get a cup of coffee without even thinking about it… or walking over to the coffee shop and once getting there, realizing that I can’t actually get what I came there for. The addiction, if you choose to call it that, is worse than I thought.

Enough with the coffee, I plan on getting through the six weeks and posting throughout that time as much as I can, sharing with you all the things I am liking, or not, and the things I am learning.

Feel free to join the journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment