Monday, August 16, 2010

Another great weekend!
















Weekends are my favorite! A friend of ours responded to my FB status the other day by saying that we only “sleep in Everett.” He put it perfectly! We are hardly ever home these days, always off on some adventure or another. I realized at the end of this weekend (which we spent celebrating my mom’s birthday) that a “regular” weekend for us, is a vacation for most people…something I am blessed to be able to say. We might not have everything we need or want, but gosh, it sure feels like it on weekends like this one. Who needs a house when you’re never home?

Sometimes I strongly consider selling all of our furniture and living on a house boat, or in a teensy trailer along a river somewhere. I know I would be content with that -- for a time. But I know that is not a good life for a three year old who needs space and friends to play. Someday…even if it’s just our weekend beach shack :)

Where to begin with this…

Friday night I took my mom to PF Changs for dinner/drinks before going to see Eat Pray Love. Dinner was great. Really, it was just some appetizers but so filling. I always forget how much I love their lettuce wraps. The manager even came over and asked us why we were so happy, what we were up to, etc. She ended up giving us a gift card to come back again, and wished my mom a happy birthday. Random act of kindness!

The movie was good. I don’t think the transition from book to movie was very smooth, and if I had not read the book, I think I’d be really confused about how a lot of what takes place actually transpired -- like, how she paid for the trip when she had lost/given up everything in her divorce. They also skipped over most of the “depth” of the book, which is what I had fallen in love with. It was of course fun going to the movie, but it was definitely no where near as good as the book. Nothing against Julia Roberts though! She made a great Lis.

Saturday we headed up to Bellingham, hit up some antique shops, boutiques, etc. Very cute town. It worked out that we were in town during the farmer’s market, which was packed with people and fun things to buy. We had lunch in the marina, shockingly similar to the Everett Marina.

Then it was time for ice cream. We went to Mallard’s, which is a place I had stopped in one time with some friends on the way home from Canada. It was nothing like I remembered it, but they still had the same random flavors. I got “rose” ice cream and loved it…my mom, not so impressed stuck with chocolate coconut. Mack had strawberry and ate it while spinning in one of the “modern meets retro” bar stools. Needless to say, he was in heaven.

We decided to wrap up our Bellingham trip with a stop in Fairhaven at Purple Smile, a little wine shop owned by a family friend of Nicks. What a great little place! AND, I definitely want to go back to Fairhaven and spend at least a full day there walking around. Maybe even stay at the little village inn. for a night or two.

Getting back to Everett, we dropped of Mack and my mom and headed to the Seahawks game. Not really in line with it being her birthday, but Eric had given us tickets and its pretty hard to pass up on that! The game was a lot of fun, maybe 80 degrees in the stadium, beers got warm just walking up to our seats. BUT, the sunset was to die for. I don’t think I have ever been to a football game in such nice weather! If I haven’t mentioned it already, I can’t wait for football season. AND, the season of cozy sweaters and autumn tones, chai tea lattes and good books.

Enough of that though; its still summer time. Sunday morning, Nick made us a lovely breakfast including waffles. We ate outside and it was already roasting hot at nine in the morning. We all decided that we’d go out on the boat with Gary and Criss to celebrate their first launch of their “new to them” boat. We got in at the river, just north of Langus Park and went up river to Snohomish. On the way back down the river we stopped at the sand bar and got off for a couple drinks and some swimming. Mackenzie thought this was so cool.

Pulled in at Dagmar’s for a quick lunch break. Then went back up the river, this time taking a left and heading up one of the little tributaries. Being back here, is what I picture the Bayou being like. It’s a little swamping, lots of boats tied up along one side of the river, even some sunken/abandoned ships. Turns out this little fork, takes you back out to the sound, which was perfect. We rounded the tip of Everett Marina and headed back in by going under the train bridge -- while a train was going across it. Perfect timing for that little train lover Mackenzie.

Back at Dagmar’s a forklift was waiting to take the boat out of the water and put it on its little shelf. Amazing.

I am sun burned beyond belief. Literally, I will have to go tanning all this week to cover up these lines in time for Erin’s wedding. Pretty sure this isn’t going to look good in that bridesmaid dress.

Top the night off with BBQ chicken, watermelon, fried plantain chips (courtesy of Marimba’s inspiration), and Pina Colada’s.

I fell asleep before dinner was ready, and didn’t wake up until almost eight. Oops! I guess all that sunshine just wore me out :) I love that Nick let’s me nap or read or whatever when I need that time. Great husband, great daddy.

I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend. Although, I have a feeling that the next two are going to be rivaling this one. This coming weekend is Kyle and Erin’s wedding in Leavenworth, the weekend after is our vacation alone, bed and breakfast in La Conner. Then, its labor day weekend… still don’t have plans for that (other than the Husky game at Greg’s)… The world is our oyster! And I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment