Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentines Weekend

This past weekend was Valentines day. Ours was a little different, but we had a great weekend. For starters, we had planned on having Valentines dinner and all that next weekend, so that we could help Nick’s parents move this weekend, then they changed it to the following weekend and thus began the crazy turn of events. We had already planned on having my mom watch Mackenzie for the weekend (while we were helping move) so it ended up that we had time to ourselves and no real Valentines plans. That’s OK because we made the most of our free time (starting with our trip to Seattle to see Avatar as I’ve already mentioned). On Friday night we went out to a local bar that features a pretty decent selection of beer and has a really cool wine-on-tap bar. I guess they use nitrogen and it keeps it fresh and also gives the tap the pressure it needs to serve the wine up. Pretty neat. They also had live music and lots of board games. This is definitely becoming one of my favorite spots here in Everett and the hummus is delish!
After that we watched the incredibly boring Opening Ceremonies. I’m sorry, even if Beijing hadn’t been the show to beat, that would have still been a terrible ceremony. I did like the whales, but the whole idea was just appallingly slow to develop and I’d dare say….over-played? We get it that there are native tribes, and that there was ice, then melting, blah blah blah. Is that all Canada has to show for itself?
Okay enough of my soap box. On Saturday Nick and I went on a coffee date in the morning and met up with my mom and Mackenzie at Starbucks. Its becoming a habit of Mackenzie and I to get hot chocolate and a red cupcake when we are there (God only knows what we’ll do when its not cupcake season). After that it was off to a birthday party for some friends of ours son. Xander was turning two, so it was nice for Mackenzie to get to play with some kids his age (yes, he did get to have a second cupcake for the day) and they even played pin the tale (-shaped sticker) on the donkey. Good times.
We decided to do a little shopping and I got some great deals on some clothes for work and a new husky sweatshirt!! After the shopping we went back home and did some cleaning. I completely did over the guest bedroom downstairs, I had had enough! When we were all worn out and sick of the cleaning efforts, Nick and I got ready (somewhat) and went out to dinner, Terracotta Red followed by drinks at Prohibition. Lovely, lovely. I had the empress chowmein once again, and at Prohibition I got a fun drink that “tasted like a bubble bath.” Seriously, it was frothy and peachy deliciousness. MMMmmm.
Sunday was a LAZZZZZzzzy start. Literally, we got up, lounged around, took showers, and none of us were ready to go anywhere until one. Not my intentions at all, but I enjoyed it all the same. We did some family style grocery shopping, which is the ONLY way Nick and I go grocery shopping, but grandma came along for the trip. We also drove by the house that Gary and Criss are moving to on the first. It is an extremely bright teal, but an amazing location on the beach just north of Everett. Sweet.
At home we cleaned some more and then we rented the movie Couples Retreat. I have to tell you that I was really hoping to get some bucket margaritas going on, but I couldn’t find the bucket mix anywhere, so we ended up having wine and valentine cookies during the movie. Good, but not the same.
So it was a good weekend. We haven’t really hung out with any of our friends for a few days, but it has been nice getting to enjoy our house and be there as a family, we don’t have that always.
This week I am working on getting my procurement letters out to collect some cakes for the dessert dash. I’m also meeting with my website client to get going on the content of his site, I have the format and design done, which is exciting. If I didn’t tell you, the site is for a clean and sober housing group. I really like the guy but our schedules are pretty different, which makes things a bit tougher.
I’m trying to get another design project going though as well. I’d like to have a strong portfolio before I really start any advertising. I also want to get a better grasp on techniques and time involvement. I did get asked by SCYPN to help out with the “user-side” of development, a HUGE compliment since they actually have a web design firm who JUST did their site, but they want a little more user friendliness. So that’s cool.
I’ve been good about going to the gym on my lunch breaks and even though I don’t feel very good today, I put in 100% effort and got a really good workout in. Crazy girls at the gym though, whoa baby! Drama, drama. I feel like after listening to that for thirty minutes, I may as well have watched three months of reality tv. I’m going to have to stop going on Tuesdays. This is the second time I’ve sat through their crazy chatter.
That or bring my i-pod.
This weekend we will be in Portland and Vancouver. On Monday Nick is leaving me to spend a week in Anchorage. Boo! This is not cool because A) he will be gone for a week and it seems like he just got back from Ohio and B) Kennis is in Anchorage and I’m the one who should be going! Dang it!
On a side note, I’ve decided to start sharing the things that I am making for dinner, since sometimes people ask me how I make things or for different recipes. I’ll try to put some links in as well, so if you read something you like and then want to find it again, you can do so easily. Last night I made Caribbean Pork with Spicey Peach Sauce and Rice. I’ll get the recipe up tonight. And who knows whats for dinner tonight. Maybe pork chops?? We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment