Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Getting Started

I’ve decided to start a blog of my own, so that I can practice my writing again and also so that all these thoughts in my head can get out somehow.
If you don’t know me, I’m a wife, still learning how to play that role, and a mommy, something that comes naturally at times and is challenging at others. Our son is two and a half, just a joy to be around. He keeps us busy but he also keeps us laughing. Although I spent four years at the University of Washington (go huskies!!) I still have not managed to actually attain my degree because I missing one requirement: a foreign language. Basically I am trying to teach myself Italian (shout out to Rosetta Stone) and hopefully can test out of this requirement at some point. It’d be a lot easier if I actually put in the time, but this really is the LAST thing on my priority list right now.
I currently work at an architecture firm as a marketing/administrative assistant (and everything that doesn’t fall under “architect”). Its definitely been a learning curve seeing as I was hired here to be the receptionist. But I love my job and I couldn’t ask for a better group of people to work with. Before this, I worked at Starbucks and loved my job there. I was ready for something more though and sick of the corporate blah blah blah. To be fair, I still think Starbucks on a corporate level is a great company, I just think the ideals and goals get a little confused at the store level.
Another work thing I have going on is web design. I fell into this, literally. My boss asked if I could design a new website, and not knowing the slightest thing about it, decided “sure, I’ll give it a go.” Luckily, Microsoft has an excellent program for new-be designers (
Website Spark) and I was able to get all the software and help I needed without paying anything. I also took some online courses and made lots of mistakes. BUT I’m happy to say that my first website is up and running, you can check it out at www.bnharch.com. I realize it is in no way some spectacular masterpiece but I am very proud of writing all of the code for each and every aspect of that site, no templates, no code generators. I am also happy to say that I have since then, obtained my business license and registered my domain name to start my own web design business. I figure, if this is going to be a hobby I may as well make a little money doing it, and help out some smaller businesses who can’t afford the people who do the “spectacular masterpieces.”
Just last week I met with my first client and that project is underway. This is especially exciting because they are using their own graphics designer. I am really enjoying learning more about that side of developing and to see the things that he creates. I’ll be sure to post links when that site is up and running.
And just because having a two year old, working full time and starting my own business doesn’t keep me busy enough, I also volunteer with Snohomish County Domestic Violence Services and am helping co-chair their upcoming chocolate lover’s event here in Everett. I am really excited about being a part of that event and also to start working with the women and children affected by domestic violence. I start my training for the counseling portion in April.
I also just joined the Snohomish County Young Professionals Network (SCYPN) and am excited to see where this will take me. I’ve only been to one meeting but I’ve already received some excellent advice and made some great contacts with people in the Everett area. I am thinking about joining the advisory board and helping coordinate the monthly events.
I intend to use this blog as an avenue of sharing the projects I’m working on, new places I find, groups I want to support, and as a place to vent about my day. I hope that you enjoy reading and will contribute comments or advice. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment