Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolutions Resolved

One of my new year’s resolutions was to get back to eating healthy and substantial food. Nick and I decided to start a “menu” for each week, write out the menu on the weekend, get the necessary groceries and then cook the food throughout the week. The side effect of this is that you have leftovers from each night – wa la! Lunches!

Nick and I made our first “menu” and then went to the grocery store (forgetting the list – of course!). We managed to get enough of the stuff that we could wing it on the recipes throughout the week.

Here’s what we had:

Monday - Chargrilled Chicken with Risotto (in honor of Italian class starting the next night)
Tuesday - Chicken Gyros
Wednesday - DATE NIGHT - went to Mukilteo Lodge
Thursday - Linguini with Capers, Olives and Anchovies (ha! Just kidding, we sub’d out the anchovies for bay scallops and mussels - good choice!)
Tonight - Noodle Stew with Chickpeas (in the picture it looks similar to the pasta fagioli from Olive Garden)

The second part of the resolution is to get back into a healthy lifestyle - not just going to the gym - but waking up early, taking the time to pack a lunch, eat a good breakfast, prepare mentally for the day etc.

Looking back, this week has gone exceedingly well. It’s been a busy week but things have just clicked together, Nick and I are happier, we are being better parents, Mack is happier (and therefore less prone to temper tantrums aka “the symptoms of being three”). I feel rested, energized and excited for things to come. We’ll definitely be continuing this new routine.

Here’s what the week looked like:

Each morning Nick has gotten up early and gone for a run with Muffin dog. While he’s out running, I’m getting in some last minute z’s, waking up/stretching/picking out my clothes, etc. When Nick gets back he makes breakfast for Mack and smoothies for the two of us. I get Mack up and situated in the living room where he has a morning routine of his own - he watched Mickey Mouse in the dark, with his sunglasses on, eats his breakfast and when Mickey is over, he moves into our room and watches Handy Manny while I finish getting my hair/make up done. Nick is usually out the door and on his way before Mack’s second show starts, so the half hour that I’m getting ready is also a nice time for me and Mack - he usually tells me stories or what funny thing is happening in his show, things that he will do at preschool that day, etc. It’s a favorite part of my day (sometimes it’s my least favorite part too, because if I’m in a hurry Mack almost always has a meltdown, kids are good for knowing bad timing :) )
After dropping Mack off at school, I head into work, sit down with my yogurt and whatever fruit I’ve packed for the day and then catch up my blog subscriptions - chiefly Peanut Butter Fingers.

For lunch, I’ve been hitting the Women’s Wellness Center for the circuit training and then come back to the office in time to enjoy whatever lovely leftovers I have from dinner the night before. Yesterday, I pushed myself especially hard and when it was time to leave the gym I noticed it was raining :( I decided to grab a cup of tea and then, noticed an ad for this - Klesick Family Farm. Can’t wait to give that a try! Back at the office, I enjoyed leftover salmon and grilled veggies from our dinner at the lodge (perfect after workout meal) and was ready for whatever the day had in store for me.

Dinner, following the above menu has been really fun. It’s nice to come home and not have to open the cupboards trying to think of what to make tonight. After a long day of work, it’s nice to just look at the menu and bust out the appropriate cook book and hop to it. Nick and Mack are lots of help in the kitchen and it’s good family time together. It also means we can get Mack to bed at a much more reasonable hour - leaving time for Nick and I to be grown ups and have some time to ourselves before we’re off to bed too.

Going a little out of order now, I started Italian 2 on Tuesday night! I’m so excited that EvCC is offering this course again and that I get to be in it! The professore is so much fun and makes the class go by in a jiffy!

Wednesday night Nick and I did a little date night - deciding to use one of our fun gift cards we acquired over the month of December (we won a couple dinners out and we were given some gift cards for Christmas) - I love gift cards!

This weekend will also be a fun “Date Weekend.” We’re headed up to Orcas Island - first time ever! We plan on hiking Mt. Constitution which you can check out here.

My goal is to post the recipes for the above meals. They were all very good (aside from the Stew which I have yet to try!) and were not only nutritious, but easy to make and looked beautiful.

1 comment: