Monday, January 17, 2011

Now, to real life...

After a great week of eating healthy and fun meals, this week’s menu was a little bit hodge podge - but it was a crazy week, that was initially super busy and then petered down to a relaxing and productive weekend. Real life looks more like this, but I'd like it to taste more like last week!

The menu:

Mon: Enchiladas for MNF - not really, but it was Monday and we did have people over for the game
Tues: Fend for Yourself! Literally, Nick had flag football and I had Italian class. I grabbed a $5 footlong from subway before class. Ate half before, and the other half I shared with Mackenzie back at home after class.
Weds: Pizza x2. Nick made BBQ Chicken and also Pesto Chicken pizza. Ironically, the meeting I went to after work also served pizza. I was pizza’d out! Nick made a joke that he had been slaving over the oven and I had cheated on him with delivered pizza! LOL, sorry Nick!
Thurs: leftover pizza (and I may or may not have made a giant thing of noodles and tomatoes at 8:00 that night - don’t judge!)
Fri: late night sandwiches and a bowl of kix - no, this was not the plan, but we went to the mall right after work, then hit up H Mart and by the time we got home, we were neither very hungry or in the mood to cook
Saturday: Italian Wedding Soup
Sunday: Meatloaf Pot Roast - the ghetto roast if you will :)

The only thing we used a recipe for this week was the Italian Wedding Soup… everything else was off hand or things we’ve made up before. Recipes to follow.

This week was a little busier than our typical weeks - although, this seems to be becoming the “typical” for us. Monday we had people over for the game, Tuesday I had Italian class right after work (I leave early to get there on time), Nick actually dropped Mack off to me at EvCC when my class was over so he could make it to his football game on time, Wednesday I had a meeting with DVS Sno-Co about the Chocolate Lover’s auction coming up in March (excited! This year’s theme is Egyptian and I love the colors and ideas so far), Thursday Nick had a playdate for Mack with one of his friends from highschool who has a boy Mack’s age - a perfect time for me to sit down and study with no distractions, Friday we were supposed to go to a birthday party/game night, followed by staying the night at my mom’s house, having breakfast in the morning, coming home to meet some friends for an early dinner, then the hockey game, Whew! Sunday would have been our only time to actually sit down for a moment. We decided to miss the birthday party and the overnight at my mom’s. Sorry Ashley! The house looks like a hurricane hit and we were all pretty tired. It was nice to just go to the mall and pick up my wedding ring (all better!), venture over to H Mart which is an awesome Asian grocery store; we love it because it has an amazing selection of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as an unmatched offering of meats and seafood - at GREAT prices. After H Mart we decided to swing by QFC and “red box” a movie. We picked up Date Night. I actually liked this movie, it was silly and stupid but it was funny and entertaining.

Saturday was not a “sleep in day” by any means. Nick and I both woke up around 5 and while we were both still trying to sleep, Mack came out of his room just before six and was ready for the day to begin. At least it was waffle day! We mass cleaned the house on Saturday - not just cleaning but organizing things, getting rid of stuff etc. I feel so much better about life! When Mack went down for a nap, both Nick and I decided to take a break and we watched Shutter Island on Netflix. We didn’t get through the whole thing before Mack was back up and ready to PLAY! Speaking of Netflix, when we were on Orcas Island, we picked up Season 1 of Carnivale from the front desk of the hotel and started watching the series. We only got through the first two episodes, but we were hooked, I decided to add it to our Netflix queue (which you can now do straight from the Wii console, instead of picking out DVDs on a computer only - loving the new lay out Netflix!!). I’m really excited for the DVDs to come in the mail since the show is a little off beat and “weird” - I’m still at that point where I have absolutely no idea what is going on, but really want to know! I cooked up some Italian Wedding Soup with Mack who is becoming quite the chef’s helper. He loves pretending to read the directions “next it tells us to…? Mom, what does it tell us next?” I love it! Some day, somebody is going to be very happy with all the cooking he has learned! Who knows, maybe even we’ll be enjoying his cooking when we’re old and gray :) We also decided to make his giant cupcake - a silicone mold he got for Christmas. He didn’t really understand what it was going to come out like until the whole thing was baked and we put the two pieces together - then he flipped out, stomping his feet so excited, “I really like that big cupcake mom! I really like that big cupcake dad! I really like that! I like that! Look at that cupcake! I really like that” On and on he went about it. Gotta love the reaction of a happy 3 year old - nothing beats it!
That night we went to the Silvertips game. Now, the Silvertips have had a TERRIBLE season and the ticket sales have been incredibly low, which is why I was so shocked with the game was a sell out, the arena was packed and charged with energy AND the Silvertips played really well - they actually WON - beating Seattle. This game was the first time I’ve ever been present for a “hat trick” which is when a player scores three goals in one game - Nicely done Maxwell! I can’t believe how many people throw their hats down on the ice, crazy!
Sunday, we slept in and lounged around the house until the Seahawks game which was a depressing show - which is the nicest thing I can think to say. Playing like that proves everyone correct: we had absolutely no purpose playing in the playoffs. Oh well, there’s always next year? After the game we finished Shutter Island - a good movie. I thought it was going to be really scary, but it’s more of a psychological intrigue than a “thriller” - just my style :) The rest of the day was fairly lazy - I wasn’t feeling well and took a nap, Nick went on a run, we did a little laundry, then Nick took a nap….boring, lazy day - but so deserved! I definitely can’t do that every Sunday, but I have to admit, it’s nice every so often to just chill out. I’m pretty sure I wore my pajamas all day, until I took a shower and changed into different pajamas before bed lol. That’s what weekends are for though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment