Thursday, July 22, 2010

Warm Fuzzies

Mackenzie turned three! As trite as it sounds, I really can’t believe how old he is and how much time has gone by. He really has turned into a little man, with so much personality and spunk that sometimes I have to stop and remember he is in fact, only three. He has the willpower and particular-ness of an eighty year old man. And I love him so much for that!

Lately, he has been waking up early. Usually I am already awake, but still in bed reading. He will come bounding out of his room, yell “hello?” down the hallway and then run into our room. Nick is already gone for work by this time, which is really too bad, because this time I get to have is Mackenzie at his finest. Mack crawls into bed with me and lies on Nick’s pillow. He’ll tell me about his sleep, the things he dreamt about (he knows I’m going to ask and usually beats me to it now). Then he’ll tell me stories, Goldilocks is a standby favorite, but he makes up his own tales as well. He is so sweet, so mellow at these times, that I just hate that I have to get out of bed and get ready for work. I suppose though, that knowing the time is short and will end makes me cherish it that much more.

For his birthday, Nick and I got him a bike. He looks so cute riding around on it, I’ll have to post some pictures. We took the bike down to Langus Park and he did really well riding along the riverfront path, I think we went about a quarter mile down the path and then turned back. This is short for us, since when we go, we like to do the full circuit which is just over two miles. It was the first time with the bike though, and that’s a long ways for Mack to ride. I’m assuming we’ll get there though! I can hear my dad in my head telling me to only go half as far as my heart’s content…because I have to come back! Those are my memories of Green Lake, which I still couldn’t make the full loop of. Smith Island and Langus Park will be Mackenzie’s Green Lake :)

Nick and I have taken on the project of clearing out the front lawn garden space. It has been a wreck for awhile and we’ve finally got ourselves motivated. We started building a brick wall to act as an end cap for the hill that comes down from our front porch. It’s looking much better already, but we have a ways to go. If anybody doesn’t have a yard, and wants to spend some time working in one, feel free! We could use the extra help. Although, I have to say, that working out in the yard with Nick is some good time together.

Looking at our summer calendar, we’ve decided that it would be fun to go on a camping trip. Really looking at the calendar, we realized that we have plans for every single weekend through the rest of summer, so September will be camping month. I was looking into state parks and wanted to find somewhere new, neither of us had been. Funny, because on the state camps website there was a link to Maryhill….which I just went to a wine tasting of Maryhill Wines…. I figure a camp area that has a winery nearby has to be a good time! After researching a little bit more, the campsite is right on the Columbia, has excellent crabbing (and higher Catch Limits than up here) and there is a replica of Stonehenge. We will definitely be doing this! I can hardly wait.

We’re planning on hiking Iron Goat trail this weekend, which is nine miles long and has an incredible amount of history. We’ll be sure to take lots of pictures. The guidebook, just for this one trail, is 76 pages long, which makes me think this might be a trail we do a couple times.

Much love!

1 comment:

  1. Typo...the crabbing is way down the Columbia but will be a pit stop on the way home...

    Sorry if that was confusing

    ReplyDelete