Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm not sure what this is...but I sat down to write and this is what happened...

“I think you're only as good as the people around you. If I've learned anything in life, it's that you really need to surround yourself with quality people.” This was a random comment in the newspaper a few days ago. I saved it for myself because I really, really believe this. The hard part is that are so many people that are necessarily in your life and you don’t get a choice, whether they are quality or not. I know that sounds judgemental but here’s the thing. You don’t get to choose everyone that you have in your life, you just don’t. So why not make the most of the people you do choose, and surround yourself with the absolute best. And try yourself to be that absolute best in return. I have a small pocket of people I would actually consider my friends, and lots of people that I know. The thing is, I know I can rely on every single one of these close friendships, and hopefully, they know that’d I’d do or give anything for them. I also take this quote this way: you can’t really have quality people in your life, if you’re not a quality person yourself. What is quality? Well, for different people, and at different stages in life, this means different things. So answer for yourself. I know what it means for me, and for the relationships I surround myself with. I also know that its hard to let go of relationships that are toxic, and it hurts even as I type that out to think of the friendships that I’ve been toxic in, or that have been toxic for me…. I think everyone has these experiences. It is freeing however, once its over, to know exactly where you stand with the people who are still in your life and to have close, intimate, and strengthening relationships. I am so appreciative of my friends, for putting up with me, growing with me, growing themselves and teaching me as they do….
Together we learn, together we figure out our bumpy path in this life. You help me, I help you, sometimes we sit at the bottom of a deep dark hole we have fallen in together; it’s the people who can get out of that dark crevice with you that are the people worth holding on to. And its these people that I have the closest relationships with today.
I’ve found that some people just like falling down with you, and if you try to get back up, they don’t want to. And they not only don’t want to get up themselves, they want to pull you back in with them.
Wow, I guess I needed to get that out, because that is really not where I wanted to go with this…but here we have arrived. The point is, I liked this quote and it got me thinking? Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment