Thursday, September 2, 2010

Preschool

On Monday, Mackenzie started preschool. While this something I’ve been looking forward to for him, I have to admit that when the time actually came to drop him off, I had this sinking feeling in my heart as Mack just waved me off and headed over to play with the other kids. There he goes…

Tuesday was the same thing. But Wednesday when I went to give him a hug, he just curled right up into me and didn’t let go. Really quietly, in the most heartbreaking voice he whispers to me “I don’t want to be here” and then crocodile tears fell. WOW this is hard! I took him out into the corridor and we talked for a little bit about how much fun he’s having at school and he just kept saying he wanted to go home and be with me. As much as I love that he misses me, I hated that I had to leave him there, crying. This is the first time I haven’t been able to come to some sort of OK place with him. Sure, he’s had his tantrums and had to cry it out in time outs…but this, this was entirely different. I don’t know how many drop offs like that I can take. Luckily, this morning was much better.

A couple good things have come from Mack being in preschool: the house stays a lot cleaner, and I can go home and have some peace and quiet on my lunch breaks -- much needed “me” time. All this week, I have gone home on my lunch, taken the dogs for a walk, made myself lunch, started dinner in the crock pot, picked up the kitchen, etc. I am really loving this routine, because I feel so much more satisfied with my days by the time I get home from work and also, I don’t have to cook much when I get home, just a couple side dishes.

I guess I lied, Monday we had leftovers from all the food from the weekend (leftovers from Terracotta, leftover cabbage soup, lots of things to use up!). Tuesday, I made Chicken Marsala, using one of the bottles of wine from our Skagit wine tasting extravaganza. We picked up this bottle of Chardonnay at the Tulip Valley Winery for $5 -- without even trying it. I figured for five bucks, it wouldn’t matter - could always just dump it if it was terrible. Turns out, it was great not only in the Marsala sauce, but also just drinking it! Has a lot more pizzazz than what I think of in a Chardonnay. I will post this recipe, its super easy and something I just made up.

Yesterday, I made Bombay Chicken Curry. This is one of my favorite things to make and I tried it a whole different way than usual. I had picked up some coconut oil from the co-op and had wanted to cook something with it -- perfect opportunity! I will post the recipe for this as well.
When I got home from work, Mackenzie and I made mashed sweet potatoes together. He is such a little chef! Loves doing the seasonings and tasting as he goes -- just like mommy :) “This needs something” he tells me…usually just because he wants to shake the salt shaker again. God I love that little monkey.

One of the downers (not entirely) of the preschool thing is the change in routine for me. I’m sure Mack is feeling the same way. As it stands, I’ve been getting up about two hours earlier than I am used to. I shower, get dressed and ready for work, then I wake up Mack and get him set up with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I figure if he’s anything like me, he’ll want to ease into his morning at his own pace. Watching cartoons lets him wake up in peace. So far, that seems to be working out. As for me, I’m exhausted. I know that I cannot get up that early and continue with my regular diet, I just can’t make it through the days. I’ve upped my protein and need to make an extra effort to do so even further and I’ve started taking Vitamin B as a good alternative to caffeinated beverages. I’m still sticking with the no coffee routine. The end date is September 28th.

Here’s the thing. Up until this week, I’ve been fine not drinking coffee. Sure, I’ve wanted it and I’ve missed the taste (which nothing really replaces, certainly not ginger tea) but I haven’t felt like I need it to get through my day. Things have changed. With this preschool schedule I find myself thinking if I could just have a coffee I’d wake up a bit, or if I just stopped in for a quick espresso my sleepy headedness would subside. Alas, this need for coffee is the whole point behind not drinking coffee for the six weeks. So, stick to it I shall. BUT, come September 28th you’ll know where to find me :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Mack is preschool age already! I checked out your FB pics because I didn't believe it. You guys are such an adorable family :)

    ReplyDelete